Like many triathletes around the world, you may have caught some – or lots – of the coverage of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi. During the times I tuned in I have been reminded over and over why triathlons are better than the Winter Olympics:
- Triathletes get to wear a lot fewer items of clothing.
- Triathlons, as a general rule, take place in warmer climes.
- Ski boots: heavy and bulky. Running shoes: light and breezy.
- At the Olympics, only the top three get medals. At triathlons these days, everybody gets a medal.
- There are no stages of a triathlon in which you are required to carry a loaded weapon.
- Events are almost never decided by judges.
- After you finish your race, you can go right to the food tables without being stopped to be interviewed.
- Most of the time, you get to sleep in your own bed.